ARIANE by UP trace & Data Quality at HILAIRE VAN DER HAEGHE
Since 1898 the family-owned Belgian company HILAIRE VAN DER HAEGHE NV is an exclusive distributor of high-end technical equipment and associated services in the field of agricultural machinery, green spaces and material handling. Established in Antwerp and Fernelmont and with Dutch and UK subsidiaries providing local service to all its resellers and customers, it represented on its centenary in 1998 a turnover of 50 million euros. Since then turnover has more than doubled.
The company’s priorities are: excellence, professionalism, innovation and attention to the customer. Well-established values that exist for years now in this nice company and that encourage it to always progress and adapt to new challenges.
As a result, during the last decade the gradual increase of the stock position and spare parts movements from the Antwerp site began to require a much more rigorous management. To ensure better visibility and availability in due time for any subsidiary or reseller, each item movement had to be recorded, tracked and operated.
After several reflections and consultations, HILAIRE VAN DER HAEGHE was convinced by the Middleware ARIANE by UP trace, a set of software tools integrating with most ERP systems, collecting data to ensure their availability for field-PLCs, finally ensuring objects error-free identification and marking. As a resume, ARIANE offers in a very simple way a real-time visibility of production and logistics flows in order to ensure data quality.
In theory, the communication between HILAIRE VAN DER HAEGHE's ERP Microsoft Dynamics NAV (Navision) and ARIANE is based on XML webservices:
- A Microsoft SQL database stores Navision’s data in ARIANE
- It makes the data available for handheld terminals used in logistics
- And inversely returns processed data to Navision
- Navision makes a purchase receiving with cross docking movements, and picking lists available, with all the necessary information (order lines, description of items, quantities, ...)
- ARIANE temporarily stores this data, processes it and makes them accessible to ZEBRA (PSION) OMNII XT15 portable terminals used in production and logistics
- The operations (reception, storage, picking, packing, weighing) are carried out in production or in logistics by the operator using the portable terminal. First, he scans the order or order line (with barcode), then the article, and finally confirms the quantities; scanning of (new) locations is also possible, if asked
- Data from the portable terminal, either captured online or offline (outside the wireless zone), resulting from these movements is sent back to the ARIANE SQL database.
- ARIANE makes this data available for Navision ERP which deduces the actions to be carried out (posting shipments or item reclassifications etc.).
By covering all the stages of logistics i.e., at the input, reception and storage of the articles, then at the exit picking, packaging and weighing of the parcels, the traceability solution ARIANE by UP trace allows not only the combination of a whole range of operations in a very simple way and avoiding any encoding error, but also and above all huge time savings. It provides real-time inventory and order updates, making business flows management much more efficient.
Joris Desimpelaere, ICT Manager at HH explains and appreciates:
“Initially we expected primarily to cut back on the total number of errors we experienced in completely manually putting spare parts away in bin locations, counting them, and shipping them to our customers. The above processes were carried out with only paper lists, obtained from our ERP Navision. After carrying out the operation, in which the paper was annotated in writing by the operator, feedback was manually entered into the system and posting occurred. We still use the paper, but now it is augmented by barcodes. And of course, by scanning with a handheld terminal all bin locations before putting something in it (receiving and relocation) or taking something from it (picking or relocation), we managed to dramatically cut in the errors by handling.
Secondly, we wanted to improve the time it takes between the action of physically putting away a spare part, and the moment this action transpires in our ERP Navision. Earlier the operator had to complete the receiving, go back to his workstation, and put his actions into the system. Now he can exit his relocation list at any time, and the handled lines are immediately handled by the ARIANE system and made available to our ERP. Important is also the terminals keep working while offline. Being in a wireless zone is only necessary when transferring data to and from ARIANE.
We also wanted a non-intrusive system. At any time, we can start working the old way, e.g. when a system breakdown should occur. ARIANE really works as an addon, with many capabilities and vastly improving the exactness of our warehouse operations. We again could positively confirm this when we recently made a major upgrade to our ERP, which was absorbed seamlessly by ARIANE.
Finally, we would like to remark how proficient ARIANE’s analysts and developers are. We had numerous meeting onsite which resulted in a very complete Software Proposal, already including a technical Systems Interface with the exact description of all Webservices. Of course, as the project progressed, some adaptions needed to be made, which never proofed to be a problem.”